Interested in forming a Cove Club at your school or in your community? It’s a great way to raise issue awareness while raising funds for Dolphin Project.
Keep reading to learn how to get started.
- Make a name for the club (this can also be decided when the group is established)
- Choose when and how often your club will meet
- Ask people to join your club – it’s a good idea to have an adult in the club so they can be a mentor (If this is a school club, find a teacher willing to sponsor your club)
- Have your first meeting and make sure everyone is happy with the meeting time
- At the first meeting, vote on responsibilities and jobs
- Vice Captain/Deputy
- Task specific leaders e.g. fundraising leader
- Choose a club logo and motto if you like
- Decide specific tasks or action that the groups would like to be involved in
- Work as a team, help each other and make sure everyone is involved
- Have fun!
Important Things to Remember
- At each meeting you should have an agenda. This is a list of items that the group is going to discuss. Using an agenda helps the group to stay on task.
- Organize what you would like your club to be involved in. These could be writing letters to important people, fundraising or protests. Plan out events or activities for the year and assign someone to be responsible for each task. You can choose a range of activities such as a community service event, a fundraiser, a movie night, and an awareness event.
- Use a calendar to plot important events or when things are due. The secretary can be responsible for this.
- Social media is great to help you get your message out to the public. Your Cove Club can start a blog!
- It is important to keep learning – keep reading books and finding out information so you can learn as much as you can and education others.
Reprinted with permission from Dolphin Project Youth Ambassador, Harry Morgan, courtesy Ocean Blues Blog.